Mark Prelli II
Links to Blogs:
1) My charity, @gr8fullyfeclub, which focuses on taking donated computers, putting Open Source software on them (Linux: Mint, Debian, Ubuntu) and giving them to students/people in need with the training they require to use them. Current focus: collecting computers for Winsted Neighbors Helping Neighbors, refurbishing them and donating them to people who don't have tech to zoom or video chat during Covid-19.
2) My thoughts on math education in general and teaching in a city in particular
3) How to save money using a smartphone
5) Fly Fishing/Fishing the Farmington and surrounding areas
My Resume (why you should care what I think about any of the above)
Significant Accomplishments and Skills
● Fluent in the use of Blackboard, Office365 and Google Drive/Jamboard to share documents and present material digitally to students
● Able to install Windows/Linux operating system from scratch on any PC hardware, and build computers and servers using parts
● Fully current and proficient at the entire office365 Suite, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, OneDrive.
● Able to use PivotTable and advanced spreadsheet/database features to make databases easily searchable and useful.
● Web Design - Designed and updated www.classicalmagnet.org from scratch using Google Sites, eliciting feedback from key stakeholders and helping use the site for recruitment of new students
● Technology Integration Specialist, responsible for instructing teachers in best practices for using PowerSchool, Office365, Google Suite, Windows 7, 10, Linux (Ubuntu and Debian), SMART Board software, Google Jamboard, and troubleshooting teleconferencing and hardware issues.
● Able to program in Java using BlueJay, C++, Visual Basic, html using Dreamweaver
● Willing and able to learn new programming languages as necessary for a position
● Skilled at photography and photo editing (specifically for websites, but also a personal hobby)
Masters of Mathematics Education, University of Connecticut, 2004
● GPA – 4.129/4.0
Bachelor of Science, Bates College, 2003
● Majored in Mathematics, with secondary concentrations in Computer Science and Philosophy
● GPA – 3.48/4.0
High School Diploma, The Gilbert School, 1999
● Graduated with high honors, 4th in class
● Superintendent’s award (CAPSS), National Honor Society, National JCL Latin Honor Society
● All-Eastern and All-State Chorus, Outstanding Choral Performance Award
Northwestern Connecticut Community College • Math Instructor, Winsted, CT • 2018 - Present
■ Instructor for Math Boot Camp, a course designed to help students with College Readiness, in preparation for the College Level Courses
■ Topics ranged from Pre-Algebra up to about Algebra II
■ Utilized Google Jamboard, SMART Board technology, Google Drive and Open Office to instruct students.
■ Utilized Instructional software (I-Ready) to help students fill in gaps in their knowledge
Northwestern Regional 7 • Math Instructor, Winsted, CT • 2019 - 2020
● Instructor for College Geometry, Honors Algebra II and Algebra 1a
Classical Magnet School • Mathematics Teacher, Hartford CT • 2005 - 2019
■ Instructor for 6-8th grade math lab, 7th grade math, 10-12th grade math including Geometry, Algebra II, Pre Calculus and AP Calculus
■ Fluent in the Paideia Instructional Model, including Socratic seminar and dialogue
■ Participated in Grade Level Team coached projects, such as the 60s (Culture and Counterculture) and the 1920s (Innovation and Identity)
■ Technology Integration Specialist for Classical Magnet, 2005-2019
■ Coaching experience for: MS/HS wrestling, HS girls tennis and 6-12 rock climbing
■ School enrichments in Computer Repair, Ubuntu and Debian Linux, Chess, and Middle School Cross Country
■ Webmaster for the school’s website in 2018-2019
University of Hartford: Adjunct Professor 2007-2018
● Instructor for Pre-Calculus, Calculus I and Calculus II.
● Endeavor to flip the classroom instruction as much as possible (video lessons for homework to prepare students for class, coaching students to try problems during class)
Student Teacher • Hartford Magnet Middle School, Hartford CT • 2004
■ Student taught with Emily Noel and Mark Flaherty in the 8th grade mathematics classrooms
■ Planned instruction in the I Can Learn computerized mathematics classroom with Mark Flaherty before the school year began in order to move from an individualized instruction model to a differentiated instruction model.
Camp Counselor • T.E.A.M. Mathematics Camp, Hartford CT • Summer 2004
■ Helped plan and implement the mathematics curriculum, with a focus on using technology like gps units to find area of irregular shapes such as the Trinity campus.
■ Managed the boys’ floor as a counselor
■ Instructed the students in creating digital journals of their experiences at the camp.
TCPCG Program • University of Connecticut • 2004
■ Worked with the mathematics department to Digitize and pilot a core assessment for the incoming sixth graders in Microsoft Class Server
■ Conducted software training sessions in Class Server for the Mathematics Department
■ Following the internship was hired by HMMS as a full time substitute and floating mathematics tutor for the rest of the school year.
● Acted as an assistant wrestling coach at Canton High School for the 2003/2004 season.
● Worked in a 9th grade classroom in Lewiston High School, as well as an adult education program for Somalis in Lewiston.
● Acted as a part time assistant coach for the Lisbon High School wrestling program in 2002.
● Worked in a local elementary school as a teaching assistant in a 5th grade classroom in 2001.
■ Participated in 2 a cappella singing groups at Bates – the Deansmen and the Manic Optimists
■ Scholar Athlete Awards in Wrestling, Tennis, Soccer, and Cross Country at The Gilbert School
■ League Champion wrestling 1999, 4th in state 1999, Coach’s award for wrestling (98,99), captain (99)
References Available Upon Request